Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recent obsession

OK, so ever since I impulse bought the chicken, I've been coming up with new ways to eat it, and here is one of my favorites:

BBQ Chicken Pizza
1/2 a whole grain, low carb tortilla
1/2 TBS pizza sauce (choose one without much added sugar)
1 TBS BBQ sauce (again, a low or no sugar brand)
An ounce (or so) of shredded cheese--I like to mix monterey jack and sharp cheddar
Seasonings (chopped onion and chopped cilantro are the traditional flavors, but I don't use either of them--I'm a plain jane kind of gal)
1-2 oz. of shredded, cooked chicken--like from a rotisserie chicken that you might have impulse bought at Wal-Mart (or maybe that's just me)

Preheat your toaster oven to 400.  I like to preheat the cookie sheet I use (lined in foil) for the time it takes for me to put the pizza together so it gets a little crispy.

Mix the 2 types of sauce together in a small dish.  Spread a spoonful of the mixed sauces over the tortilla.  Add the chicken to the remaining sauce mixture and stir until just coated.  Evenly place the sauced chicken around the tortilla; top with the cheese blend and any seasonings you choose. 

Place "pizza" onto pre-heated cookie sheet and put in the oven.  I usually go do something else for a while and then come back and check after 5-7 minutes.  If the cheese is bubbly and the edges are getting crispy, you're done!

Personally, I like the Fat Flush Sprouted Grain tortillas for the nutrition and the slightly denser texture.  I also don't worry too much about sugar free sauces, but I do try to avoid high-fructose corn syrup and I choose varieties with lower sugar when I can.

It's fast, it tastes good, it fills me up, has good nutrition, and makes me feel like I'm eating pizza.  What more could you ask for?

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I'm not a huge fan of chicken because it doesn't sit well but this may just have to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like soemthing the whole family will enjoy. I'll try it out :)

    ReplyDelete